Today’s Kona cotton cotton color of the day is Tulip.
According to countryliving.com here are some fun facts about tulips.
- There are over 150 different species of tulips with over 3,000 different varieties.
- Their flower buds are known for being almost perfectly symmetrical.
- Most tulips sprout a single flower bud, but a few varieties have up to four on a single stem.
- Tulips are part of the lily family.
- Tulips only bloom for 3-7 days in the spring.
- You can find tulips in almost any color.
- Tulip petals are edible and can be used in place of onions in many recipes.
- The best time to plant tulip bulbs is in the fall so they can grow roots before it gets too cold.
I happen to love tulips. While Gerber daisies and dahlias are probably my favorite flowers, tulips rank right up there. Another item on my bucket list is to visit the Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival in Woodburn, OR. I was really going to try and get there this year, but April was not a kind month to my family. Between illness and weather, I sadly once again missed out on seeing the fields of blooming tulip, so today’s color will have to satisfy my need for seeing tulips.
Tulip is one of the darker shades of purple that Kona has to offer. It pairs nicely with Thistle, Wisteria, Hibiscus, and Morning Glory.
If you missed the tulips blooming this year have no fear. You can always get your Tulip HERE. Let us know what is planted in your garden.